Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that is celebrated on May 5th every year. It is a day that is celebrated in Mexico and in many parts of the United States. But do you know what Cinco de Mayo is all about? In this post, we’ll explore the history of Cinco de Mayo and how to have your own celebration.
History of Cinco de Mayo:
Cinco de Mayo celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The battle was fought during the Franco-Mexican War, which was a conflict between France and Mexico. The French had a much larger and better-equipped army than the Mexicans, but the Mexican army was able to defeat them at the Battle of Puebla.
Cinco de Mayo Celebrations:
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in many different ways. In Mexico, it is celebrated with parades, music, and dancing. People also eat traditional Mexican foods like tacos, tamales, and enchiladas. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is also celebrated with parades and festivals. Many people wear traditional Mexican clothing, decorate their homes with Mexican flags and colors, and eat Mexican food.
Kid-Friendly Cinco de Mayo Activities:
- Make Guacamole: Guacamole is a popular Mexican dish that is easy to make and delicious to eat! Here’s a simple recipe that kids can help make: Mash 2 ripe avocados with a fork, add 1 diced tomato, 1 diced onion, 1 minced garlic clove, and 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Mix everything together and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Decorate a Piñata: Piñatas are a fun and colorful part of Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Kids can decorate their own mini piñatas using construction paper, tissue paper, and glue. Fill them with candy or small toys and have a mini piñata party!
- Dance to Mariachi Music: Mariachi music is a traditional style of Mexican music that is often played during Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Put on some Mariachi music and dance with your kids!
- Learn about Mexican Culture: Cinco de Mayo is a great opportunity to learn about Mexican culture. Read books about Mexico, watch documentaries, or visit a Mexican restaurant to try some traditional foods.
In conclusion, Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that celebrates an important moment in Mexican history. It is a day that is celebrated with parades, music, and traditional foods. By participating in Cinco de Mayo celebrations, kids can learn about Mexican culture and have fun at the same time!
Learn more about Juneteenth here!
- “History of Cinco de Mayo.” National Geographic Kids, 2021, https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/history/holidays/cinco-de-mayo/.
- “Cinco de Mayo: What it is and How to Celebrate.” PBS Kids, 2021, https://www.pbs.org/parents/thrive/cinco-de-mayo-what-it-is-and-how-to-celebrate.